iPod explodes, owner gagged
Apple allegedly offers owner of now defunct iPod Touch a refund - in exchange for a signed settlement agreement.
The father of an Apple iPod that went up in smoke was allegedly refused a refund on the faulty device unless he signed a legal gagging' order.
Liverpool-based Ken Stanborough, who had purchased an iPod Touch for his 11-year-old daughter Ellie, was shocked when it exploded unexpectedly last month after dropping it.
"It made a hissing noise. I could feel it getting hotter in my hand, and I thought I could see vapour," he told the Times newspaper, before adding that, half a minute later, there was a "pop" followed by smoke and the device being catapulted "10ft in the air."
The shocked father was offered his money back, but only in exchange for a signed settlement document, forbidding him to speak about the incident without legal comeback.
Apple has previously warned consumers to be particularly vigilant about their iPhones overheating during the hot weather.
And, just last month, the company re-called some of its iPod Nano devices on the recommendation of the Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, following reports that some were becoming too hot while charging.
An Apple spokesperson told IT PRO that the company had nothing further to add to the story. Other reports have suggested Apple also declined to comment because it had not had a chance to inspect the iPod in question as yet.
The ultimate law enforcement agency guide to going mobile
Best practices for implementing a mobile device programFree download
The business value of Red Hat OpenShift
Platform cost savings, ROI, and the challenges and opportunities of Red Hat OpenShiftFree download
Managing security and risk across the IT supply chain: A practical approach
Best practices for IT supply chain securityFree download
Digital remote monitoring and dispatch services’ impact on edge computing and data centres
Seven trends redefining remote monitoring and field service dispatch service requirementsFree download