The IT Pro Podcast: Why the tech skills gap doesn’t exist
It’s a perennial problem, but the issue may not lie in a lack of talent
The tech skills gap is something that gets brought up again and again, as organisations lament their struggles to find talented developers, engineers and security professionals. The problem, so they claim, is that there just aren’t enough potential employees in the industry to meet demand for these positions.
But are companies struggling to fill roles because there aren’t enough qualified candidates, or does the real reason have more to do with hiring practises, company culture and attitudes towards certifications? This week, we’re taking a look at the supposed causes of the skills gap, and why companies are thinking about tech skills in the wrong way.
- The IT Pro Podcast: Picking a programming language
- Turn on, log in, burn out
- Why COVID-19 could spur a learning revolution
- Microsoft will help 1.5 million Brits build careers in tech by 2025
- Bridging the coronavirus skills gap
- The STEM skills gap — crisis averted?
- The IT Pro Podcast: How upskilling can improve diversity
- IBM job ad calls for 12-years of experience with six-year-old Kubernetes
- How do we fix security's toxic culture?
- Taking the road less travelled to a career in IT
- Two thirds of UK organisations facing digital skills gap
- Majority of Brits received no digital training during the pandemic
- Three-quarters of over-45s keen to invest in digital skills
- What should I be looking for when hiring a developer?
- CIO hiring process to focus on emotional intelligence in 2021
- So you want to work for a tech startup? It’s not all ping-pong tables and yoga
- What are your tech skills worth?
- The softer skills CIOs will need to adopt for the future
- 7 skills you need to become a front-end developer
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Unlocking collaboration: Making software work better together
How to improve collaboration and agility with the right techDownload now
Four steps to field service excellence
How to thrive in the experience economyDownload now
Six things a developer should know about Postgres
Why enterprises are choosing PostgreSQLDownload now
The path to CX excellence for B2B services
The four stages to thrive in the experience economyDownload now