The IT Pro Podcast: Looking back on 2019
We recap some of the most important stories and trends from the past year
It's that time of year again; the holidays are fast approaching and businesses are shutting up shop for the year, so as 2019 draws to a close, it's time to look back and reflect on some of the biggest stories and most important trends of the past 12 months.
This year has been an eventful one for the UK tech industry, which has weathered everything from continuing political uncertainty to a rash of high-profile GDPR fines, as well as some nasty ransomware infections. In this special bonus episode, we'll be looking at all this and more.
We'll be taking next week off, but join us in the new year where we'll be discussing the upcoming trends that are set to define the first year of the new decade.
- Small businesses ‘unprepared’ for no-deal Brexit
- UK firms may soon find it impossible to legally receive data from the EU
- Brexit uncertainty puts digital transformation on hold
- ICO investigates Brexit Party for failing to hand over personal data
- GDPR and Brexit: How will one affect the other?
- Canadian watchdog says Brexit data firm broke privacy laws
- Interest in UK tech roles slips amid Brexit crisis
GDPR and data governance
- What is the Computer Misuse Act?
- Labour reports data breach to the ICO after MPs join The Independent Group
- British Airways faces record £183m ICO GDPR fine
- Marriott fined £99m for 2018 data breach
- GDPR fines: How high are they, and how can you avoid them?
- Where does the money from GDPR fines go?
- Facebook is subject to 10 major GDPR investigations
- ICO to investigate Google over GDPR violations
- Stop the hop: Why ‘Island Hopping’ is 2019’s biggest threat
- Louisiana state government hit by ransomware
- Hacked Texas government agencies face $2.5 million ransom
- Global public infrastructure hit by ransomware attacks
- What is Wannacry?
- The IT Pro Podcast: How do we fix security?
- The IT Pro Podcast: Five Years of Windows 10
- The most popular ransomware strains targeting UK businesses
- 50% of cyber attacks now use island hopping
Mergers and acquisitions
- HPE acquires Cray for $1.3 billion
- Why VMware is acquiring Pivotal and Carbon Black
- Why Hewlett Packard Enterprise bought SGI
- IBM doubles down on Red Hat independence
Windows 7 end of life
- Microsoft offers select Windows 7 users an extra year of support
- Microsoft gives SMBs reprieve on Windows 7 support
- How to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10
- What is 5G?
- What is the 5G health scare?
- Brighton and Hove council bans 5G
- More 5G news
- 5G rollout may be held back by lack of understanding
- Science vs from Gimlet Media, 5G: Welcome to the revolution?
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Unleashing the power of AI initiatives with the right infrastructure
What key infrastructure requirements are needed to implement AI effectively?Download now
Achieve today. Plan tomorrow. Making the hybrid multi-cloud journey
A Veritas webinar on implementing a hybrid multi-cloud strategyDownload now
A buyer’s guide for cloud-based phone solutions
Finding the right phone system for your modern businessDownload now
The workers' experience report
How technology can spark motivation, enhance productivity and strengthen securityDownload now