The IT Pro Podcast: Can tech survive Coronavirus?
COVID-19 is sweeping the globe, but how much will it affect the tech industry?
The coronavirus outbreak has been all over the news in recent weeks, with health warnings, office shutdowns and skyrocketing sales of antibacterials creating an air of borderline panic. But aside from general health concerns, does the tech industry in particular have anything to fear from the COVID-19 crisis?
In this week’s episode, we look at the potential impact the virus could have – both positive and negative – on logistics and supply chain management, remote working, events and more.
We also discuss what Oracle’s latest round of layoffs says about its cloud strategy, how Cathay Pacific’s data breach fine relates to the state of airline security, and Xerox’s tender offer to acquire HP’s outstanding shares.
Editor’s note: This week’s episode was recorded prior to the news that HP is planning a ‘poison pill’ maneuver to combat Xerox’s plan.
- Oracle expected to slash 1,000-plus jobs in Europe
- IBM to cut 1,700 jobs as it shifts market focus
- ICO fines Cathay Pacific £500,000 for 2018 data breach
- Xerox moves to buy HP’s remaining shares
- Facebook F8 conference cancelled over coronavirus fears
- The COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak is the cloud's chance to shine
- Coronavirus starts to take its toll on the tech industry
- Government sets out four-step action plan to fight UK spread of coronavirus
- Foxconn 'cautiously' restarts production as tech tries to work around coronavirus
- Coronavirus concerns continue to blight key tech events
- Apple closes Wuhan store in anticipation of coronavirus infection
- Now is the time to embrace remote working
- How bad will Brexit be for tech?
- HPE losses pinned on Intel chip shortages and COVID-19
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Digital document processes in 2020: A spotlight on Western Europe
The shift from best practice to business necessityDownload now
Four security considerations for cloud migration
The good, the bad, and the ugly of cloud computingDownload now
VR leads the way in manufacturing
How VR is digitally transforming our worldDownload now
Deeper than digital
Top-performing modern enterprises show why more perfect software is fundamental to successDownload now