Windows 10 Consumer Preview event: Live blog
Windows 10 will be FREE for Windows 7 & 8 users during the first year
The Windows 10 Consumer Preview has been previewed by Microsoft. The operating system will launch later this year and will be available free during the first 365 days for existing Windows 7/8 users.
Key features revealed so far:
- Cortana will be built into PCs and mobile devices as standard.
- Windows Phone 10 will be optimised to use on screens which are 8in in size and below.
- Microsoft will launch "Universal apps" including Office and Outlook, which will be touch optimised.
- The Spartan web browser will allow users to annotate any web page.
- Microsoft announced Windows Holographic - software designed specifically to build 3D holograms via the firm's HoloLens.
- The firm also debuted an 84in touch screen system called the Surface Hub specifically designed for enterprise use.
- CEO Satya Nadella said the firm was also working on a Windows RT update and that pricing for Windows 10 after the first year had yet to be finalised, during a brief Q&A at the end of the launch.
2021 Thales access management index: Global edition
The challenges of trusted access in a cloud-first worldFree download
Transforming higher education for the digital era
The future is yoursFree download
Building a cloud-native, hybrid-multi cloud infrastructure
Get ready for hybrid-multi cloud databases, AI, and machine learning workloadsFree download
The next biggest shopping destination is the cloud
Know why retail businesses must move to the cloudFree Download