The IT Pro Podcast: The wonderful world of containers
Are containerised apps the future - and how do you get started with them?
It’s no secret that containers have been taking the software development world by storm in recent years, with companies including VMware, Red Hat and more talking up their benefits for developing cloud applications quickly and at scale. But why exactly is there so much buzz around them? What are they good for? And how difficult is it for companies to establish a container competency?
In this week’s episode, we talk to Canonical’s vice-president of worldwide field engineering Nicholas Dimotakis to find out why software developers around the world have been jumping on board the container train, and what benefits it can bring for enterprises who want to scale their applications.
Elsewhere, we talk about why beleaguered videoconferencing service Zoom has hired Facebook’s former CSO, Nvidia’s role in fighting coronavirus, and how social media has led to some people setting 5G masts on fire.
- Zoom hires ex-Facebook CSO Alex Stamos to boost platform security
- Who has banned Zoom and why?
- Nvidia joins the digital coronavirus fight
- What is the 5G health scare?
- What is Kubernetes?
- Mirantis snaps up Docker's enterprise platform
- Move over VMs, the future of app deployment is in containers
- VMware launches vSphere 7 and Tanzu container management tools
- Why container tech is the backbone of DevOps
- The IT Pro Podcast: DevOps for fun and profit
- Getting started with Docker
- Getting started with Kubernetes
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Digital document processes in 2020: A spotlight on Western Europe
The shift from best practice to business necessityDownload now
Four security considerations for cloud migration
The good, the bad, and the ugly of cloud computingDownload now
VR leads the way in manufacturing
How VR is digitally transforming our worldDownload now
Deeper than digital
Top-performing modern enterprises show why more perfect software is fundamental to successDownload now