The IT Pro Podcast: Does open source have a place in public sector IT?
We explore how open source and open standards can help organisations overcome budget squeezes and avoid vendor lock-in
While there are some unique problems facing public sector IT, many of them are universal. From mitigating the tech skills gap and dealing with legacy kit and contracts, to allocating budget effectively and choosing a cloud strategy, the sheer vastness of government means there are many lessons to learn – including whether moving to open source can be the answer to many of the headaches facing IT leaders today.
In the latest episode of the IT Pro Podcast, Jane and Adam are joined by Adrian Keward, chief technologist, public sector at Red Hat to discuss the challenges facing public sector today, and some of the solutions that are being found.
We also discuss warnings of a potential cyber attack from Iran, Travelex’s ransomware nightmare and the news that Microsoft really is stealing the march on AWS – in some sectors, at least.
- Travelex disruption caused by devastating ransomware attack
- Microsoft has an edge on AWS
- US warns of Iran cyber retaliation amid Soleimani fallout
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars
- What is open source?
- Is open source open for business?
- Government ‘must focus on replacing legacy IT systems’
- How ‘Brexit disruption’ is giving GDS a new lease of life
- Chancellor backs calls to curb tech giants' market power
- Gap in cloud skills doubles in three years
- The IT Pro Podcast: How upskilling can help improve diversity
- Public sector IT outsourcing labelled a success despite repeated failures
- What is kubernetes?
- Mirantis snaps up Docker’s enterprise business
- What’s the difference between hybrid cloud and multi-cloud?
Digitally perfecting the supply chain
How new technologies are being leveraged to transform the manufacturing supply chainDownload now
Three keys to maximise application migration and modernisation success
Harness the benefits that modernised applications can offerDownload now
Your enterprise cloud solutions guide
Infrastructure designed to meet your company's IT needs for next-generation cloud applicationsDownload now
The 3 approaches of Breach and Attack Simulation technologies
A guide to the nuances of BAS, helping you stay one step ahead of cyber criminalsDownload now