The IT Pro Podcast: Does open source have a place in public sector IT?
We explore how open source and open standards can help organisations overcome budget squeezes and avoid vendor lock-in
While there are some unique problems facing public sector IT, many of them are universal. From mitigating the tech skills gap and dealing with legacy kit and contracts, to allocating budget effectively and choosing a cloud strategy, the sheer vastness of government means there are many lessons to learn – including whether moving to open source can be the answer to many of the headaches facing IT leaders today.
In the latest episode of the IT Pro Podcast, Jane and Adam are joined by Adrian Keward, chief technologist, public sector at Red Hat to discuss the challenges facing public sector today, and some of the solutions that are being found.
We also discuss warnings of a potential cyber attack from Iran, Travelex’s ransomware nightmare and the news that Microsoft really is stealing the march on AWS – in some sectors, at least.
- Travelex disruption caused by devastating ransomware attack
- Microsoft has an edge on AWS
- US warns of Iran cyber retaliation amid Soleimani fallout
- Microsoft, not Amazon, is going to win the cloud wars
- What is open source?
- Is open source open for business?
- Government ‘must focus on replacing legacy IT systems’
- How ‘Brexit disruption’ is giving GDS a new lease of life
- Chancellor backs calls to curb tech giants' market power
- Gap in cloud skills doubles in three years
- The IT Pro Podcast: How upskilling can help improve diversity
- Public sector IT outsourcing labelled a success despite repeated failures
- What is kubernetes?
- Mirantis snaps up Docker’s enterprise business
- What’s the difference between hybrid cloud and multi-cloud?
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
B2B under quarantine
Key B2C e-commerce features B2B need to adopt to surviveDownload now
The top three IT pains of the new reality and how to solve them
Driving more resiliency with unified operations and service managementDownload now
The five essentials from your endpoint security partner
Empower your MSP business to operate efficientlyDownload now
How fashion retailers are redesigning their digital future
Fashion retail guideDownload now