The IT Pro Podcast: Opening up to open source
Puppet's Nigel Kersten joins us to talk community, knowledge-sharing and enterprise adoption
The open source debate is over. Companies are no longer prevaricating over whether or not they should be using open source tools and components within their IT organisations, and tools like Jenkins, Ruby and Visual Studio Code have become commonplace throughout business. But with all this love for open source components, why are these organisations lagging behind in adopting the ethos and methodologies of open source?
In this week’s episode, we sit down with Puppet’s field CTO Nigel Kersten to discuss the current state of open source adoption, including the lack of high-level knowledge sharing, the relationship between open source and SaaS, and why businesses should get better at giving back to the open source community.
Elsewhere, we look at a suspected state-sponsored strike on the United Nations, the government’s decision to allow Huawei into UK 5G networks, and the news that UK developers are the happiest in the world.
- United Nations hit by possible state-sponsored attack
- EU to allow "high risk" 5G suppliers, including Huawei
- Huawei granted "limited" role in UK's 5G infrastructure
- UK developers are most contented in the world, finds report
- What is open source?
- Why the enterprise fell in love with open source
- Is open source open for business?
- The IT Pro Podcast: Does open source have a place in public sector IT?
- Has open source gone mainstream?
- Red Hat's success shows it's possible to maintain a competitive advantage in software
- IBM's Red Hat acquisition could be "disastrous", says Puppet exec
- Banco Sabadell signs up to 10-year IBM deal
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
The complete guide to changing your phone system provider
Optimise your phone system for better business resultsDownload now
Simplify cluster security at scale
Centralised secrets management across hybrid, multi-cloud environmentsDownload now
The endpoint as a key element of your security infrastructure
Threats to endpoints in a world of remote workingDownload now
2021 state of IT asset management report
The role of IT asset management for maximising technology investmentsDownload now