The IT Pro Podcast: Opening up to open source
Puppet's Nigel Kersten joins us to talk community, knowledge-sharing and enterprise adoption
The open source debate is over. Companies are no longer prevaricating over whether or not they should be using open source tools and components within their IT organisations, and tools like Jenkins, Ruby and Visual Studio Code have become commonplace throughout business. But with all this love for open source components, why are these organisations lagging behind in adopting the ethos and methodologies of open source?
In this week’s episode, we sit down with Puppet’s field CTO Nigel Kersten to discuss the current state of open source adoption, including the lack of high-level knowledge sharing, the relationship between open source and SaaS, and why businesses should get better at giving back to the open source community.
Elsewhere, we look at a suspected state-sponsored strike on the United Nations, the government’s decision to allow Huawei into UK 5G networks, and the news that UK developers are the happiest in the world.
- United Nations hit by possible state-sponsored attack
- EU to allow "high risk" 5G suppliers, including Huawei
- Huawei granted "limited" role in UK's 5G infrastructure
- UK developers are most contented in the world, finds report
- What is open source?
- Why the enterprise fell in love with open source
- Is open source open for business?
- The IT Pro Podcast: Does open source have a place in public sector IT?
- Has open source gone mainstream?
- Red Hat's success shows it's possible to maintain a competitive advantage in software
- IBM's Red Hat acquisition could be "disastrous", says Puppet exec
- Banco Sabadell signs up to 10-year IBM deal
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
The case for a marketing content hub
Transform your digital marketing to deliver customer expectationsDownload now
Fast, flexible and compliant e-signatures for global businesses
Be at the forefront of digital transformation with electronic signaturesDownload now
Why CEOS should care about the move to SAP S/4HANA
And how they can accelerate business valueDownload now
IT faces new security challenges in the wake of COVID-19
Beat the crisis by learning how to secure your networkDownload now