The best professional workstations for any budget
Modelling, rendering and number-crunching - these meaty machines will do it all
After an extended period of unchallenged Intel dominance, recent years have seen successively more pugnacious possibilities from AMD. We’re now on the third generation of Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper, and with each iteration the maximum core count has doubled. This month, we see the arrival of a single-socket workstation with a whopping 64 cores, in the form of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X
Although the top price in this roundup is £8,000 inc VAT, most manufacturers tend to plump for the more versatile 3970X with 32 cores. And for good reason, as this is a hugely capable CPU. The lower-end price of the machines in this list is around £3,000 inc VAT, which is still a decent amount of money for a powerful workstation.
AMD’s resurgence has now been so forceful that it’s now comparatively rare to see Intel-based workstations, even at the lower price. You’ll need to read on to see the detail of how they fare against the AMD alternatives, but we’re sure you’ll be as surprised as we are at the difference that a couple of years of concerted technological develop have made.
In particular, you can now enjoy 16 cores for £3,000 inc VAT or less, and if you opt for 32 cores you’ll get even better modelling ability and the processing power of a dedicated render node. So this is a great time to buy a workstation: it seems you truly can have it all in one system.
In This Article
- 1The best professional workstations for any budget - currently reading
- 26 things to look for in a workstation
- 3Armari Magnetar X64T-G3 FWL review: Huge in every way
- 4Chillblast Fusion Ryzen Render RTX 4000 review: Our top choice for under £3,000
- 5PC Specialist Onyx 994RG review: So long, Intel
- 6Scan 3XS GWP-ME Q132R review: The best all-round workstation
- 7Armari Gravistar TCX review: A lot of workstation for your money
- 8Chillblast Fusion Ripper Render RTX 5000 review: An absolute unit
- 9InterPro IPW-R9 review: Good system, shame about the SSD
- 10PC Specialist Onyx 880GE review: Intel shows its limitations
- 11Scan 3XS GWP-ME Q164T review: A superb system for GPU compute
- 12Workstation Specialists WS-1640A-G4 review: Good, but not great
Preparing for long-term remote working after COVID-19
Learn how to safely and securely enable your remote workforceDownload now
Cloud vs on-premise storage: What’s right for you?
Key considerations driving document storage decisions for businessesDownload now
Staying ahead of the game in the world of data
Create successful marketing campaigns by understanding your customers betterDownload now
Solutions that facilitate work at full speedDownload now