Windows Phone update will support larger 1080p screens
Software also brings Driving mode, rotation lock and better storage management.
Microsoft has revealed the forthcoming Windows Phone update wil allow the OS to support larger screens, more powerful hardware and improve functionality.
"[The] new update paves the way for future Windows Phone devices with 5- and 6-inch touch screens," noted Darren Laybourn, corporate VP of Windows Phone in the Microsoft blog.
"The larger, 1080p HD displays on these devices will make Windows Phone even more personalfor example by sporting jumbo-sized Start screens with room for six Live Tiles across instead of four."
Windows Phone 8 Update 3 will also allow users to:
- Connect to Wi-Fi without a password by pairing a device to a Windows 8.1 PC or tablet and entering a network name.
- Close apps directly from the app switching menu.
- Assign custom ringtones to contacts.
- Free up space on the device and see exactly how much storage apps take up.
- Lock the orientation so the screen doesn't move when watching a movie or browsing the internet.
- Configure the new Driving Mode so it will send automatic replies to people who call or text when you're driving to let them know you'll get back to them.
The exact rollout date of Windows Phone 8 Update 3 has not been disclosed but Laybourn stated the software will be made available in "the coming weeks". Depending on the carrier and phone models, it could take several months for users to receive the update.
Microsoft also announced Windows Phone Preview for Developers. This early access to OS updates will allow devs to verify that their apps work on the new code.
Security analytics for your multi-cloud deployments
IBM Security QRadar SIEM solution briefDownload now
Five reasons to move to the cloud
Join the enterprises moving their workloads to the cloudDownload now
Architecting hybrid IT and edge for digital advantage
Why business leaders should consider a hybrid IT strategyDownload now
Six reasons to accelerate remote asset monitoring with AI
How to optimise resources, increase productivity, and grow profit margins with AIDownload now