Why iPhone 6 users 'aren’t using Apple Pay'

Apple's digital wallet isn't proving to be the success many expected

The majority of iPhone 6 users haven't bothered to even try out Apple Pay, the tech giant's digital wallet, according to a survey.

The report from anti-fraud startup Trustev found that 79 per cent of Apple customers with the latest iPhone models haven't made use of Apple Pay, with many of the remaining 21 per cent of the 1,000 US respondents still using cards or cash as their main payment method.

Of that 21 per cent who have used Apple Pay to purchase goods, 30 percent have stopped using the service completely, with only 2.1 per cent describing themselves as "super-users," with 10 or more purchases a week made using the payments system.

Pat Phelan, CEO of Trustev, said: "Apple Pay is a great system: secure, elegant and convenient. But the slow adoption shows how difficult it is to get consumers to change well-entrenched habits, like paying with card swipes.

Advertisement
Advertisement - Article continues below
Advertisement - Article continues below

"Of course, it is early days, more merchants are coming on board, and I'm sure we'll see adoption grow, but the initial reception has been slow."

Apple announced that it had seen one million activations within 72 hours of the system's launch, and the company claims that one million cards have been added.

According to the survey, 63 per cent of those who are using Apple Pay are doing so because of its convenience.

"It also points to a broader issue: maybe paying with cards is just not that painful," Phelan added. "For years, techies have been pitching e-wallets to consumers, but they don't seem interested.

"Even after Apple has launched by far the most elegant version to date, consumer adoption is light."

Reasons behind the slow adoption of the service could be apathy and ignorance, with the survey finding 50 per cent of respondents simply didn't care, while 34 per cent didn't actually know about the feature.

Featured Resources

What you need to know about migrating to SAP S/4HANA

Factors to assess how and when to begin migration

Download now

Your enterprise cloud solutions guide

Infrastructure designed to meet your company's IT needs for next-generation cloud applications

Download now

Testing for compliance just became easier

How you can use technology to ensure compliance in your organisation

Download now

Best practices for implementing security awareness training

How to develop a security awareness programme that will actually change behaviour

Download now
Advertisement

Recommended

Visit/business-strategy/33311/apple-launches-new-tv-gaming-and-finance-services
Business strategy

Apple launches new TV, gaming and finance services

25 Mar 2019

Most Popular

Visit/policy-legislation/data-governance/354496/brexit-security-talks-under-threat-after-uk-accused-of
data governance

Brexit security talks under threat after UK accused of illegally copying Schengen data

10 Jan 2020
Visit/operating-systems/microsoft-windows/354526/memes-and-viking-funerals-the-internet-reacts-to-the
Microsoft Windows

Memes and Viking funerals: The internet reacts to the death of Windows 7

14 Jan 2020
Visit/network-internet/broadband/354530/openreach-offers-free-full-fibre-installation-for-thousands-of
broadband

Openreach offers free full-fibre installation for thousands of homes

14 Jan 2020
Visit/security/vulnerability/354524/microsoft-to-patch-extraordinarily-serious-cryptographic-flaw
vulnerability

Microsoft to patch ‘extraordinarily serious’ cryptographic flaw

14 Jan 2020