The IT Pro Podcast: Farewell Windows 7
We reflect on the legacy of one of Microsoft's most enduringly popular operating systems
This week marks the end of an era, as we say goodbye to one of the most beloved operating systems of all time: Windows 7. Microsoft has ceased mainstream support for the OS after more than a decade, despite its enduring popularity.
In this episode, we’re looking back at Windows 7’s legacy, including its history and what made it so indispensable for businesses. We also tackle the issue of what organisations who haven’t upgraded yet need to do now that it’s being officially retired.
We also discuss IBM’s Red Hat-powered ten-year digital transformation deal with Banco Sabadell, OpenReach’s plan to bring free full-fibre to more homes and a critical vulnerability in Windows 10’s cryptographic protocols that was discovered –and disclosed – by the NSA.
- Banco Sabadell signs up to 10-year IBM deal
- Openreach offers free full-fibre installation for thousands of homes
- The IT Pro Podcast: What does Labour’s broadband bonanza mean for business?
- NSA hands serious flaw to Microsoft rather than use it
- Memes and Viking funerals: The internet reacts to the death of Windows 7
- Windows 10 is finally the world's most popular desktop OS
- What to do if you're still running Windows 7
- This exploit could give users free Windows 7 updates beyond 2020
- Microsoft gives SMBs reprieve on Windows 7 support
- Windows 7 ends: what do you do next?
- Microsoft to scrap Security Essentials when Windows 7 reaches end-of-life
- GCHQ warns against Windows 7 for email, banking
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Preparing for AI-enabled cyber attacks
MIT technology review insightsDownload now
Cloud storage performance analysis
Storage performance and value of the IONOS cloud Compute EngineDownload now
The Forrester Wave: Top security analytics platforms
The 11 providers that matter most and how they stack upDownload now
Harness data to reinvent your organisation
Build a data strategy for the next wave of cloud innovationDownload now