The IT Pro Podcast: Has the biometric revolution stalled?
Biometric authentication was supposed to change the world - but has it?
For the past decade, we’ve been assured that biometric security is the future, and that soon we’ll be able to do away with traditional forms of identification and authentication in favour of using our faces, fingerprints and even voices.
However, while biometric technology is certainly more common than it was in 2010, the promised revolution hasn’t quite materialised. We still have to rely on PINs and passwords for many of our transactions (both financial and otherwise) and biometric authentication is still largely limited to mobile devices. So what’s next for the technology? In this episode, we talk to Steven Furnell, senior IEEE member and professor of cyber security at the University of Nottingham, about where biometric security is going.
- What are biometrics?
- Only skin deep: The state of biometric security
- Petition urges EU regulators to ban biometric mass surveillance
- Hacked for life: Why you should be terrified by biometric technology
- TikTok settles for $92m after being accused of harvesting biometric data
- Dreaming of a world without passwords
- GitHub now supports security keys in a move away from passwords
- Google’s about to push everyone into two-factor authentication
- The IT Pro Podcast: How hackers steal your password
- If not passwords then what?
- The pros and cons of facial recognition technology
- How can facial recognition be made safer?
- Facial recognition tech used by UK police "breaches privacy"
- The IT Pro Podcast: The psychology of security
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
How to choose an AI vendor
Five key things to look for in an AI vendorDownload now
The UK 2020 Databerg report
Cloud adoption trends in the UK and recommendations for cloud migrationDownload now
2021 state of email security report: Ransomware on the rise
Securing the enterprise in the COVID worldDownload now
The impact of AWS in the UK
How AWS is powering Britain's fastest-growing companiesDownload now