The IT Pro Podcast: The psychology of security
How hackers exploit our brains as well as our binary
Security is an unusual field; while it’s one of the fastest-moving areas of IT in some ways, in other aspects it hasn’t changed in decades. For example, phishing, business email compromise and physical infiltration tactics have remained largely unchanged over the years.
That might seem odd, compared to the rate of change in other areas, but it’s because these techniques rely on exploiting fundamental quirks of human nature – quirks that allow hackers to manipulate us for their own ends. But what buttons do these attack methods push in our heads and is there any way for us to fight back? In this episode, we talk to Stephen Burke, CEO and founder of Cyber Risk Aware, to learn more.
In the news this week, we discuss Minecraft’s migration to Azure, Salesforce silencing Einstein, and the government accidentally breaking data protection rules with its Track and Trace programme.
- UK gov admits Track and Trace scheme 'breaches GDPR’
- Salesforce quietly kills off Einstein Voice Assistant and Voice Skills
- Microsoft will shift Minecraft from AWS to Azure
- What hackers don’t want you to know
- Why business resilience matters in times of crisis (and beyond)
- IT pros air their opinions on phishing employees
- The top 12 password-cracking techniques used by hackers
- What is ethical hacking? White hat hackers explained
- Inside the mind of a hacker
- The truth about hacking
- The IT Pro Podcast: The secret life of hackers
- Stories from the front line: The secrets of the Red Team revealed
- An inside job: The human factor of cyber security
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to The Business Briefing
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Managing security risk and compliance in a challenging landscape
How key technology partners grow with your organisationDownload now
Evaluate your order-to-cash process
15 recommended metrics to benchmark your O2C operationsDownload now
AI 360: Hold, fold, or double down?
How AI can benefit your businessDownload now
Getting started with Azure Red Hat OpenShift
A developer’s guide to improving application building and deployment capabilitiesDownload now