The IT Pro Podcast: Why is it so hard to convict hackers?
Catching cyber criminals is hard enough - but putting them behind bars is even more challenging
Hacking, ransomware attacks and other forms of cybercrime have become a fact of life in the modern age, but while the rates of these attacks have drastically increased, the ability of law enforcement to bring the perpetrators to justice seems to be lagging behind somewhat. Even when suspects are caught, it's rare for cases to result in convictions.
There are a number of factors that contribute to this, including the sophistication of modern anonymisation tools, police resource constraints and jurisdictional difficulties. In this week's episode, we're joined by Jake Moore, ESET cyber security specialist and former digital forensic investigator, to discuss why this is such a problem, and how police can work with the security industry to help solve it.
- IT Pro Live: Inside the mind of a forensic investigator
- LulzSec leader betrays clan as arrests made
- How do you become an ethical hacker?
- The IT Pro Podcast: The secret life of hackers
- The evolution of security
- Funding cuts lead to dodgy digital forensics
- CLOUD Act ends Microsoft's US data privacy dispute
- The Pirate Bay returns to its .org domain
- Open Rights Group calls for government to protect data post-Brexit
- Pen testers arrested after breaking into courthouse that hired them
- British 'hacker' Lauri Love invokes Victorian law in bid to get back seized computers
- What is the Computer Misuse Act?
- Google's about to push everyone into two-factor authentication
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Accelerating AI modernisation with data infrastructure
Generate business value from your AI initiativesFree Download
Recommendations for managing AI risks
Integrate your external AI tool findings into your broader security programsFree Download
Modernise your legacy databases in the cloud
An introduction to cloud databasesFree Download
Powering through to innovation
IT agility drive digital transformationFree Download