How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
The free upgrade window closed in 2016, but you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free
Windows 7 is now gone, and it’s no longer safe to use, as there will be no updates to address any new threats that crop up. We know Windows 7 has no shortage of fans, but it is time to move on to Windows 10.
But upgrading to a new OS is expensive, right? Especially for a corporation with dozens, hundreds or even thousands of computers to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Not so fast. There is still a way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free legally. Here’s how it works.
Upgrading to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 or 8
The free Windows 10 upgrade program ended way back in 2016, but the OS creator has left a backdoor upgrade open. The only caveat is you must have a legal version of Windows 7 or 8 installed to perform the update.
Other than that qualifier, the updating process is straightforward.
- Head to the Windows 10 download page
- Click on the “Download tool now” button to download the required media creation tool
- When the download completes, click on the file to open it and accept the terms
- Select “Upgrade this PC now” and click “Next”
- Select “Keep personal files and apps”
- Click “Install” and wait… and wait… and wait… as your computer shuts down and restarts multiple times
- Once the installation process is complete, open Settings > Windows Update > Activation and activate your Windows 10 license or enter your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key if you have never activated your old Windows OS.
Short, sweet and straightforward. Keep in mind that Windows may eventually close this backdoor upgrade, so if you’ve been putting off an update, now’s the time to do it. Sure, your computer may be down for a few hours, but you’ll have the latest OS and updated security.
Humility in AI: Building trustworthy and ethical AI systems
How humble AI can help safeguard your businessDownload now
Future of video conferencing
Optimising video conferencing features to achieve business goalsDownload now
Leadership compass: Privileged Access Management
Securing privileged accounts in a high-risk environmentDownload now
Why you need to include the cloud in your disaster recovery plan
Preserving data for business successDownload now