Google's top 2014 search trends revealed
Google 2014 trends have been unveiled, and include the year’s biggest sporting events, tech releases, cat stats and more
Lifestyle: Cronuts, the meaning of life, funny cats and more
- Health foods like chia seeds and goji berries were popular across the year, though pizza was still searched for more than other huge search terms such as the World Cup.
- Cronuts the cross between a doughnut and croissant came to our collective attention with the term what is a cronut.'
- In an interesting twist, the Japanese searched for French cuisine more than France, and those of us in the UK searched for Indian food more than India. In general, restaurant' was Googled more than recipes', suggesting we're still relatively kitchen-shy.
- Terms such as how many calories should I eat in a day' and how to lose weight' prevailed in 2014.
- We searched for what is love' 5x more than what is science', proving that we're still perplexed by our most basic emotions, and we were also intrigued by how to kiss' in 2014.
- Philosophical queries like what is life' and who am I' were balanced out with social media concerns such as who unfollowed me'. Turns out we're a worried bunch when it comes to our place in the world.
- Continuing the trend of mass naval-gazing, Selfies were a huge phenomenon in 2014, with what is a selfie' rising 3x and better selfie' up 6x. Cancer Research UK got in on the act, launching the "no makeup selfie" campaign and boosted search volumes even more.
- NEWS FLASH we quite like cats, and thus we spent some of 2014 searching for terms related to our feline friends. Searches for funny cats' far outnumbered funny dogs' and the Savannah cat recently recognised as a registered breed was the most searched around the world.
We didn't leave dogs out completely though, with do dogs dream' among the year's top searches.
In This Article
What you need to know about migrating to SAP S/4HANA
Factors to assess how and when to begin migrationDownload now
Your enterprise cloud solutions guide
Infrastructure designed to meet your company's IT needs for next-generation cloud applicationsDownload now
Testing for compliance just became easier
How you can use technology to ensure compliance in your organisationDownload now
Best practices for implementing security awareness training
How to develop a security awareness programme that will actually change behaviourDownload now