The IT Pro Podcast: Can AI ever be ethical?
As AI grows in sophistication, how can we make sure it’s being developed responsibly?
AI is all around us. It’s in everything from cars, to our kitchens, to the applications that power global commerce. Over the past several years, AI development has proceeded at a staggering pace, as companies race to make their machine learning algorithms more and more capable.
But all of this development throws up some tough ethical questions: how do you ensure AI is being trained without implicit bias? How can it be used to augment, rather than replicate, human workers? And how, fundamentally, can we ensure it’s being developed in an ethical and responsible fashion? In this week’s podcast, we talk to AI expert and ContactEngine CEO, Professor Mark K. Smith, to try and answer some of these questions.
In other news, we discuss the potential motives behind the spike in phishing attacks against the WHO, the pitfalls of not muting your microphone on Zoom, and Microsoft’s new devices offering a slice of normality.
Thanks to Razer for providing some of its Seiren X microphones for use during the lockdown.
WHO targeted by phishing attacks
- WHO doubles its security team as phishing attacks ramp up
- Hackers leak credentials of WHO and Gates Foundation employees
- Hackers target WHO as coronavirus spread surges
- Five giveaways that show an email is a phishing attack
UK Parliament resumes via Zoom
- UK MPs vote to resume Parliament virtually via Zoom
- Who has banned Zoom and why?
- Welsh minister's mic mistake broadcasts sweary rant to assembly
- NHS staff urged to avoid using Zoom for virtual appointments
- Zoom 5.0 adds 256-bit encryption to address security concerns
- Head to head review: Zoom vs Hangouts vs Skype
Microsoft prepares to launch Surface Book 3 and Go 2
- Microsoft preparing to launch Surface Book 3 and Go 2 devices
- Microsoft Surface Go review: Going for gold
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 review: Undone by its own ambition
- Microsoft Surface Pro 7 review: Slightly faded glory
- What is machine learning?
- Machine learning vs AI
- What is ethical AI?
- Why transparency is key to promoting trust in artificial intelligence
- When it comes to AI, the EU is a very small fish in a very big pond
- How to spot – if not fix – algorithmic bias
- Government releases guide for AI use in the public sector
- UK police warn of bias in AI tools
- IBM to snuff out AI bias with updated Watson OpenScale
- "Crucial" oversight needed for police AI use
- View from the airport: Hitachi Vantara Next 2019
- House of Lords: AI needs an ethical code of practice
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Next-generation time series: Forecasting for the real world, not the ideal world
Solve time series problems with AIFree download
The future of productivity
Driving your business forward with Microsoft Office 365Free download
How to plan for endpoint security against ever-evolving cyber threats
Safeguard your devices, data, and reputationFree download
A quantitative comparison of UPS monitoring and servicing approaches across edge environments
Effective UPS fleet managementFree download