The IT Pro Podcast: Has COVID killed the smart city dream?
With city centres deserted, the utopian smart city vision may be later than advertised
For the past several years, advances in fields such as 5G, IoT, autonomous vehicles and AI processing have promised to unlock major new innovations for civic planning and public sector management. Technology vendors and local governments alike have laid out visions for glittering, high-tech utopias where next-generation systems manage everything from traffic flow to collecting the bins.
For the past year, however, COVID has reduced cities up and down the country to veritable ghost towns, stripped of their usual hustle and bustle. In a post-pandemic world, can the same ideas be turned to making COVID-safe cities, or is the dream of the smart city no longer feasible? This week we’re joined by staff writer Keumars Afifi-Sabet to talk about the future of smart cities.
- £90 million 'future transport zones' will fuel UK smart cities
- Poor data is killing the smart city dream
- Are smart cities a disaster waiting to happen?
- Smart Cities: Living in intelligent spaces
- How to beat coronavirus with the Internet of Things
- 'Narrowly-focused' data strategy not enough to build on local government progress
- Remote working shift could lead to "ghost towns", experts warn
- Sidewalk Labs scraps Smart City project over economic uncertainty
- Connexin rolls out UK's first nationwide IoT network
- Toyota plans smart city for Japan
- Smart city tech branded 'invasive' by privacy campaign groups
- Are 5G and IoT really a match made in heaven?
- Smart city misconceptions are alienating the public, MPs warn
- Is the IoT the saviour of the environment?
- Smart cities to become the norm by 2025
- London and Bristol take Smart Cities crown
- Why do smart cities deploy ‘unsustainable’ infrastructures?
- COVID-19 has sped up digital transformation efforts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
How to scale your organisation in the cloud
How to overcome common scaling challenges and choose the right scalable cloud serviceDownload now
The people factor: A critical ingredient for intelligent communications
How to improve communication within your businessDownload now
Future of video conferencing
Optimising video conferencing features to achieve business goalsDownload now
Improving cyber security for remote working
13 recommendations for security from any locationDownload now